Thursday 6 December 2012

Count down worm!


I have made a count down worm!

36 Days to go - if all goes well!

Hopefully...we fly home for 10 days on the 11 January and land on the 12th in Durban.  I am thrilled as not only do we get to see Kell and Andrew and our friends, but it is my mother-in-law's 90th birthday on the 19th and we will be there for that.

DSCF0030
She looks great for 89 years old, hey?  She's the one on the right!
 
 
 
ONE of the things I miss the most is walking. When we lived in the plantation, Joyce, (my friend of 27 years, helper-in-the-home, finder-of-all-lost-things, surrogate mother, killer of scary things and so much more!) the dogs and I would walk for hours while solving the world's problems, breathing the fresh air, listening to the silence (when we took a break from talking) and smiling at the dogs' antics. (This is physically painful for me to write about, I miss my girls so much - a pain similar to the one I get when I think about how far Kelly and Andrew are away from me, but at least I can talk to them.) Then when we moved to Pietermaritzburg, we used to walk with Kell in the suburbs but surrounded by cars and noise. It is too hot, too dusty and too crowded to walk here! This morning I got up early (the coolest part of the hot day), slathered myself with mosquito cream and walked and jogged around the house for 30 minutes! It was terribly boring but I can feel that my endorphins have kicked in and I am feeling better. "They" say that exercise is one of the top things to do for happiness and I can feel that I have perked up. All I need now is an ipod loaded with happy music.
Hands cupped to mouth.........."P o o o r k y..............C h r i s t m a s!"
 
The plantation where we walked! Its extremely sad for me to look at this photograph and remember the happy times! Oxymoron, Bev?
Scruffy and Tiki waiting at the window for Porks to come home.
My other children. Tiki is there but you can't see her easily!












It is election day in Ghana tomorrow and everyone is excited. They have had peaceful elections since 1981. The people in the Church near us sang and played drums and music from about 7pm until after midnight, praying and singing for peaceful elections. The Ghanaian music sounded soulful and in a minor key that made it very sad and I almost got tearful. Very loud, very passionate and very long.
 

 
I am running out of lunch ideas for Porks. We have so few resources here but I made him pies today! I cut the crusts off the melba bread and sliced it. Then I took a bottle and rolled the bread out flat - we have no rolling pin. The I dipped the bread in egg - we have no brush, and half filled one side with a tuna mixture. One has to add all sorts of things to make this tuna taste good! Then I squashed the two pieces of bread together and fried it in a little oil. I made Porks two as he can be quite fussy but he asked for more and said next time I should make 10! He/I is/am realising that he/I should not take the little things for granted and not to take life too seriously!





2 comments:

  1. Well done on the countdown worm, you'll see how fast the time goes! You are so strong and positive, you are a boer met 'n plan, the lunch look delicious!! Can you go on the internet? Paul found a very nice website where you can find answers on about anyhing...plants, trees, animals and what more. Just google ispot. You'll love it!!! Miss you my fwend and just love reading your stories!!! XxX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that my fwend! I can go on the internet so I will look up that website. Say thanks to Paul for me and love to you all. Big squeeeeze for YOU!

      Delete