Thursday 29 November 2012

Parcels

We have had no internet connection for a few days so I am behind on my news. Today is Thursday and the parcels only arrived at 6am yesterday as John only got back from Accra after 10pm the night before. 
It was so exciting ...

He managed to get:
empty containers
a sieve/colander
a grater
raisins
tissues
dessicated coconut
bicarb
a cabbage
some apples
vanilla essence
a tin opener 
self raising flour
aaaaaaaaannnd..........ice trays.....so last night I had.....


(Hands rubbing together, cheezy grin.)
 
He also managed to get us some fresh carrots....
fresh, meaning not frozen and not cooked.













There is no way on earth I would buy these (or Porks eat them) if I was at home but here you take whatever fresh vegetables you can get.






I have decided to do some pork chops tonight for supper.


Here is the kilogram of thawed pork chops?




 
I have put them in the slow cooker with some apples and some cow powder, so we'll see what that tastes like tonight. One of the most difficult challenges here is to try and make this Ghanaian food tasty with very few resources.  I'm not a very inventive cook at the best of times, so this is a huge learning experience for me.


Yesterday afternoon, we went for a ride on the bike to Bantama and stopped on the side of the road to buy a "vetkoek"- like bun for 30 peswas.
 

A little like "igwinya"  but less fatty and less crispy - lovely treat!
 
 
Last night we were sitting at home and "Chesty" arrived with a deliciously fresh pineapple for us.  Porks asked how much and he said, "This is not for selling, I give you". 
 
 
 
A half an hour later Tony arrived with mealie meal, still warm from being freshly ground. (But it can't sing...ha ha!, sorry!)  
 

 
Gundi is really getting tame now...it is so sweet. She sleeps in a box in the lounge and in the morning when I get up I call "Guuundiii" and she screeches and comes running. When I leave her to go to the kitchen, she screeches again, so I say "Come Gundi" and she tentatively comes around the corners. I was making coffee this morning and she screeched, so I called her and she just screeched louder. Eventually I went to see what the problem was, and the door opening was too small for her to get through and she was at the door saying "I caaaan't come, the door is closed, open uuuuup silly!" 
I find myself smiling so much, as this little rodent has brought such joy to my life!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
    
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Gundi, you are a lifesaver for Shannie ... you cute little critter. I love you from Aus! And SO enjoy your pics! Shan,you are becoming such a resourceful lady, wow, you amaze me. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete