Monday 26 November 2012

Celebrations?!


Sunday:
We had a massive party here for Porks' birthday!?  The two of us had some fruit then baked beans and tinned sausages for supper. Porks had a cup of coffee, I had a whiskey and then he was in bed by 7.30pm, as usual.
Ghana is doing its best to get rid of me though. I have finished a box of tissues and three rolls of toilet paper over the past week, blowing all the gunge out of my head! My Achinaforce is half empty. I have been bitten on the backs of my legs by some vicious invisible little insect (probably while sitting on the grass outside playing with Gundi). Then last night, just to complete the celebration, I had projectile, explosive diarreah for the night. Porks went to bed, Gundi asleep, me alone feeling really sorry for myself.  Then out of the blue I get emails from my loving friends wanting to send me things to cheer me up....and even without the "care packs" here yet, I am feeling a lot better.  Thank you so much, you have no idea what a difference just the thought makes!

We get another carbohydrate here called Cassava. (Cassaaava, Pips, like wasaaabi!) 

It's similar to the yam, but Porks prefers it.  I haven't done it yet, but apparently boiled, sliced and then fried it tastes... amazing! (I was going to say "yummy" but that would have confused you as to which vegetable I was referring!?) The cut vegetable is the yam and the long dodgy looking one is the cassava. (npf? - private joke!)  I am still wanting to go to the farm where these are grown to take photos of the plants and see how they are reaped.
 
 
Monday:
I had an off day yesterday after having a colonic cleansing (and some people pay for this?) but had a good night's sleep and am on the mend!
 
 
 
The picture above is of the "hotel/guest house" (with no food) next door.  The red sand you see in front is just off the main Bantama road. The tree on the right hand side of the picture is the same one that is on the left hand side of the next picture.



 


Our house is in the background with the arches on the verandah.
 
A close view of our house and the grass where I take Gundi to play.
 

This is why I have to take Gundi outside.  Inside the wall, it is all cemented, making it even hotter.
Cries of "Abruni", "Abruni", resound whenever we venture outside. It means 'white person' and the children are exceptionally excited to see us.
 
Since I have been in Ghana Porks and my roles have reversed! In South Africa, I had control of everything! Money, budget, grocery shopping, accounts etc. HERE I am in charge of keeping Porks happy and he is doing the rest! It's quite refreshing...I say I need onions and Porks tries to organise it and gets out the Cedi's to pay...I have NO money and no responsibilities here!
 
 
I am sounding JUST like Dad here, Kell and Andrew...we are just about to leave and I say "where's my hat?" The sun is so vicious here that hats and sunglasses are compulsory and I cannot go anywhere without them. I understand Dad's obsession now.
 
 

 

Gundi is also obsessed with my hat.  She plays with the ties and sleeps under it when she can.  We have to be careful when we sit on the couch as she could be underneath it.  Porks is falling fast and even said to me yesterday..."Gundi is getting to me, Shan."
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Really admire your sense of humour Shan, it will keep you going!

    A unique "celebration" - have to admit. But then life will be a little different for a while!

    Hope you are feeling better. GO GIRL, you are doing a good job. You are keeping Porkey happy and Gundi is keeping you happy. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the blogs Sharon! Just makes me homesick for Africa :). Lots of love from oz! xx

    ReplyDelete