Sunday 18 November 2012

"Gundi"

Just before Porks came back to South Africa the last time, the workers killed a mongoose to eat and left two little babies behind, still with their eyes closed.  Sean took it upon himself to be the surrogate father and nursed the two little ones with milk from an eye gene bottle.  One of the little mongeese (X).. ....mongi (X)......mongooses (X).....      (I know,  I know!)   One mongoose died.  One mongoose is still alive!  We have called it Gundi (pronounced goondy) as it is short for Gundwaan (spelling?)which is "rat" is Zulu.  He/she is a month old now and is really ugly but really cute.  It already responds when I click-call it and screeches when it needs something...I am already starting to understand what it wants.  We took it outside to the grass this afternoon and it follows even if we run, when we stop, it stops between our feet! Really cute!  Here are a few photos of Gundi.


                                                          Gundi's dad, Sean.                                                                          

Porks,........ AGAIN!
 
                                                             A contented ball of fur.

I have realised that when one refers to the term "black" in S.A. one is really talking about the West Africans.  They are a dark mahogany colour much darker than our brown indigeni.  This is Theresa our helper at home.  She is still not the darkest Ghanaian we have seen.  Many of the Ghanaians we have met have names that come from the British Colonial times...Josephine, Sarah, etc. 



We went for a drive to Atebubu this morning to do some retail therapy.  Next time we go I'll take a photo to show you of the market.  We bought some stock made of shrimp (?), some garlic, a few onions the size of squash balls and some "cow powder".

 
As you know the Ghanaians drive on the right hand side of the road.  It is really strange to me, sitting on the right hand side passenger seat while Porks is driving the left hand drive vehicle.  I keep glancing up at the rear-view mirror and it is facing the wrong way - it takes some getting used to.  You'll understand this Hayls.

Cooking my first meal in Ghana last night was not something I enjoyed. We cooked some mince (?) with basketti and mixed veg on a huge gas stove. I decided to treat the chaps to a bread and butter pudding. I couldn't find vanilla essence, cream or smooth apricot jam but made do with what was here and apparently it was delicious....the first pudding the men have had since being in Ghana, so no wonder! The heat in the kitchen was almost unbearable and I was wet through and verging on claustrophobic by the time we had finished.

Later on in the day I found a beautiful fan standing in the corner of the verandah and took it into the kitchen to use while cooking.....it has been on the verandah for four months and the guys here haven't thought to use it - head shaking, eyes rolling, palms up, shoulders shrugging!!

4 comments:

  1. I guess it takes a woman! Well done mom x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aunty Shan

    Just been told about your blog and have been giggling the whole way through!! its great to hear how you are doing! big love to you and Porks! you are truly are an amazing couple! Jann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Janny. It really feels comforting knowing that I have people supporting me out there in the world! Please don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a 'Gundi' :) - too cute! Well done on the first dessert and finding the fan xx

    ReplyDelete