Sunday 24 March 2013

Journey home

There was great excitement waking up on Friday morning and getting ready to come home.  We left at 8.30am on a beautifully cloudy day and drove nearly half way to Accra with the windows open, not requiring the air conditioner.  Seven hours later we were shopping at the Shoprite and two or three hours after that we were at the airport.  Porks and I had a light snack in one of the restaurants and then he caught a taxi back to the hotel after I had checked in.




Porks, still without his glasses.  They have been fixed but haven't arrived from South Africa yet.

There were mostly brony South Africans from Accra joining the stop-over flight from Abidjan to Johannesburg.  A guy called Henry had spoken to a pilot and found out that our flight had been delayed.  He told a few of us that as there was no available parking area for our aeroplane, the expected take-off time would be an hour later than expected.  We ended up leaving at 23.30 hrs.  I was exhausted already as I had been awake from 4am trying to book row 55 - the best row with the most legroom - but with no luck as there was no internet connection in Bantama.  Kelly managed though to book me further back on the isle. This same guy, Henry van Noort, is from Cape Town, and his company has been contracted to put quarry down to stop the sea from eroding the port. We had chatted about the special row on the plane and low and behold, there were two empty seats - one window and one isle in row 55!  So after holding our breaths, the aeroplane doors closed and no-one sat down in them.  He went and grabbed them for us. He is going out with his girlfriend Karen but nicknamed "Bug".
                       The sleeping Henry - "H" to his friends. (I thought of you and your "H", Angie!)

He looked after me so nicely, carrying my bags for me and being a real S.A. gentleman! We were served supper at 1.30am and then tried to sleep from 2.30am until about 5am ish (7am ish South African time)  when we landed. My connecting flight to Durban was at 8.35am so I was a bit concerned.
                                                              My first sight of "home".

I got through customs and collected my luggage fairly quickly but didn't want to chance having a cup of coffee before going to the boarding gate. I found my seat next to an unaccompanied minor, Sandiswe.  He was flying to Durban to his father for the school holidays.

 I had a lovely chat to him brushing up on my teaching skills.  I said to him, "So, you're in Grade 3?" "How did you know?" he asked with his bright eyes wide open.  I said that I was a teacher and also that my daughter teaches Grade 3.  I then said  "You're about 9 yrs old, hey?"  Well, at that I was a magician and we were fast friends.  I asked him what Sandiswe meant and he told me "snake"......I said  "No, that's "inyoka".  He said "dog".....and I said "No, that's "inja".  He said "sit down".....and I said "No, that's "hlala phansi".  I said  "You don't know hey?"...and he shook his head.  His brother Anele was a few rows behind, so when we were disembarking Sandiswe asked him what Anele meant and he answered "enough"....and Sandiswe?......Anele shook his head, he didn't know either!  I told Sandiswe that I was giving him some homework.  He was horrified. (These bronys - eish!)  I said that his homework was to find out what his name meant.....and I imagined him not even greeting his Dad and asking "Dad, what does "Sandiswe" mean?"  I have looked it up and it doesn't exist, so no wonder he doesn't know! (Ha Ha - I probably didn't hear correctly!)  So both my flights from Ghana were filled with excitement and entertainment.

Kell and Roger were in Durban to meet me!  I couldn't wait for my luggage before greeting my daughter, so I left my hand luggage on the trolley at the carousel and rushed through the automatic doors to hug her!  They closed behind me and the security guard wouldn't let me back in!  So I had to walk with the guard around the side of the building, sign a form and then go back to wait for my red suitcase!












Kell had prepared a cooler bag with a welcome "shot", some delicious fruit and rusks for me.












I arrived home at 11.30am to beautiful welcoming flowers bought by my very special daughter.

 

















Do you recognise the vase, Haylee?  You sent me flowers when my Daddy died 7 years ago this week!

                                                                                                                                                                

I loved, hugged and kissed my girls, who went absolutely berserk.  I did too, very nearly crying,

had a cup of coffee, a shower and tried to rest for an hour before heading for the hairdresser. (I am fairly pretty again!)

Pips and Bev came for fish and salad in the evening, my favourite, (the fish and the salad and Pips and Bev!) especially since Roger was the chef.  Thank you Kelly's Mann.




He had to be finished by 8.30pm as it was "Earth Hour". We switched off the lights and ate by candle light. 

By the time we switched on the lights again and after a few bottles of wine, laughter and many verbal faux pas due to fatigue (definitely not the alcohol!) it was time for bed.




See my red eyes? From being weary!!!

So the preceding 42 hours were an emotional roller coaster. Sadness from leaving Porks, Gundi and Genie but also happy with excitement, love and joy from coming home! I am cool, clean, smiling and full of delicious fresh fruit and vegetables.


4 comments:

  1. So happy for you, will phone soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to see you back home Shan, your emotions are quite understandable. Have a wonderful time. We always look forward to your next blog. PS also good to see Kelly, Bev and Pippa on the photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, for your comments and support. I am meeting up with lots of people that you know....so keep looking!!! (I have a huge smile!)XXX

      Delete