Monday 28 January 2013

You won't believe this!


Either you overload your bike or you use two for the price of one!


Gundi is an inquisitive little thing and found my glass of water very interesting!  She is growing up and has progressed from a plastic lid to a glass!  Hee hee!











You won't believe this but its true!  During the day, Gundi often asks me to take her to my bed so that she can sleep.  I know this because she follows me and if I turn to the kitchen instead of the bedroom, she turns to the bedroom, stands still, looks at me and screeches!  Well, what does that mean to YOU?  If I take her and put her on the bed during the day she is quite happy to sleep there and then calls me again when she has had her nap.
We had visitors again the other night and she started getting agitated at about 8pm as she was exhausted and wanted to go to sleep!   So I took her and put her on the bed and she waited a minute and then screeched for me to fetch her, so I did.  We eventually said goodbye to the visitors and I took her to the bedroom and put her on the bed.  Normally she would curl up and go to sleep next to my pillow.  Well, I still had to brush my teeth and get into my jarmies and fiddle around in the bathroom and she screeched and screeched! So I went to her and pretended to get into bed. When she was quiet I got up again to continue my ablutions but she realised that I had left her and started crying again while staring at the bathroom door.  When I did get into bed, she immediately wriggled to the bottom of the bed, curled up and went to sleep.  She is JUST like a child and didn't want to go to bed on her own! How's that for a spoiled little Gundi?  I catch myself smiling so much at the antics of this little creature!


Just when I thought we were being forgotten here, we received a lovely pineapple from Chesty, the white guinea-fowl wing cutter, and a paw paw from Tony's 81 yr old mother.  (He doesn't know exactly how old she is because she didn't keep a record of when she was born, but he guesses that she is that old.)


The next day Chesty (actually Emmanuel) arrived with a yam.  "This is not for my father" he said to me while pointing at Porky, "this is for YOU!"










My dear South African friend Haylee, who now resides in Washington DC sent me a recipe "koisan doya" which is grated deep fried yam.  I made starters for the visitors and they were a hit!  Porks loves them, but anything deep fried he finds delicious!
How's that?  An American sending a Ghanaian, a Ghanaian recipe!



Benji went to Kumasi the other day and brought us a few things back, potatoes being one of them  We miss potatoes so much so it was such a treat until we cut them open!
I managed to selvage the outside of a few of them and made a potato bake for supper for the visitors instead of the roast potatoes we had planned on having!

The guy Jose` Paulo who bought me the wine and Arno came for supper last Friday night.










Benji was also here.

So was a very young looking Porkles!  Can you believe he turns 60 years old this year? (Me sticking my finger down my throat!!)

Gundi doesn't get very many opportunities to go scratching in the grass and bushes, so we try and take her as often as we can.  When we hide from her and she realises we are gone, she screeches for us.........com'on, its our only entertainment here!










It has got drier and drier here and the doors have all shrunk, so cannot close most of them in the house anymore.  Now that the "harmattan" winds have started, everything bangs and wobbles and the dust is pouring in through every little space.....and there are many of them!


One cannot really see this properly but this door to the  room (above) and the one to the verandah (below) are locked but the hinges do not reach the connecting panel, so we have had to jam mats in between, to stop the doors from banging!



I had to get up in the middle of the night to secure these metal gates as they were banging.  There are no latches to hold them in place, so I found a grass broom and stuck it through both handles.  We have since bought a lock so that it doesn't happen again.  










Two South African (I think) men are here in Bantama for a few days so we have invited them for supper tonight!  So, although you must be very bored by this information, we are thrilled and I'll have some more news to tell you in my next blog! Big smile!

2 comments:

  1. Well Shan, Gundi certainly has you wrapped around her little paw! LOVE all the sweet stories.

    All very, very interesting.

    Enjoy your visitors, must be so great to have company and share adventures.

    Love, Fay



    ReplyDelete