Tuesday 22 January 2013

Catch-22


We have a Catch-22 situation here.  Porks really doesn't want to talk about his work when he gets home. He is more interested in my day. (Well, he probably doesn't want to talk at all, I suppose!) I want to discuss his day as that is the only change in my routine.  So its difficult as I am starved for conversation and he just wants to chill! (Literally and figuratively)  Sigh!  What to do?  So much of problems an'all!

My vegetables are growing but some of them haven't taken, so I'll have to try again.  What has grown is...........







rocket



                                                             

                                                                 beetroot




carrots






                                                     
                                                            swiss chard





cabbage







......and I had my first rocket leaves on my home-made cottage cheese (and bovril from Kelly).





One of the local farmers has given us permission to help ourselves to his tomatoes as he has abandoned the rest of the crop.  He sent a truck load to Kumasi and didn't get paid, so I think he has given up on them.  We picked some lovely  ones, tiny but firm.




How cute is this little thing?  The men the other night had a discussion about Gundi and they decided she is a BOY!  I still call her "my little girl" as its not important what sex he/she is!  He/she is here and that's all that counts.




Her pupils dilate horizontally not vertically like a cat, quite strange.






We went to  Kwame Danso on Sunday afternoon to pay for tyres that had been fixed and Gundi was exhausted so climbed into Porks' shirt while he was driving and fell asleep!












We went at the same time as Ghana was playing DRC and as we went past the tyre place, we heard shouting and realised Ghana had scored their first goal in the Africa Cup of Nations.  Unfortunately for Ghana the score ended up being 2 all.
Here are the locals watching the game on an outside TV just after the goal.  People are the same all over the world when they support their sporting teams!  The roar from the crowd made us smile and we felt part of the excitement.













This is the receipt from the tyre repair shop.  The unusual shop names in Ghana are fascinating to me. Where on earth would this have come from?






On the way home we saw this junior high school bus!  Hmmm, we didn't have preparation like this where I come from!  I wonder how they check if they've passed?



Then we came home and switched on the TV.  There was a discussion on the new animated movie called "Zambezia" and one of the directors had this T-shirt on!
(You'll have to watch this one, Pips, I think its about Zim!)

Well, (smile) he couldn't have been talking to me because here are the latest audience results:


Pageviews by Countries

Graph of most popular countries among blog viewers
EntryPageviews
South Africa
1637
Australia
611
United States
326
United Kingdom
166
Ghana
118
Zimbabwe
105
New Zealand
103
Botswana
85
Netherlands
29
Germany
24

You DO know that this is all tongue in cheek, hey?



13 comments:

  1. Hi Shan, you are doing great with your veg. Mike has also started a veg garden, he does have to get used to this soil, very sandy, but we have had his radish(haha) , my herbs are in the troffs, was great in the beginNing now they are getting eaten grow to fast or dry up. Will try again when building is over, the garden is such a mess with all the building ruble and so noisy with 8 workers from 8a.m till 5 p.m. Mike's train room is nearly finished and we had the house re painted. When it is 5 o'clock we relax on the balcony and enjoy the peace and stare at the sea, bliss. Anyway you rock girl, love you, Von xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Von. My veggies are not that successful but I am going to feed them and try some more. Nice to eat my rocket though!
      Love you. Shan. XXX

      Delete
  2. O.k. Correction from my prof , It is not troffs but troughs and not ruble but Rubble. Excuse the dialect, but at least I spelled love you right, and that is the most important. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoo kares Vonnie? Eye doent kare abowt the speling, as long as you kare!!!
      Shan.
      XXX

      Delete
  3. Very cool that so many people in Ghana are reading your blog Shazza, we need to up our game in Botswana! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just keep logging on every hour Ems! Haven't received your invitation but you do know Andrew and I are coming to the wedding?!! Yooo Hooo!

      Delete
  4. Hallo Shan,

    I can quite understand that you need to have decent conversations. Difficult one to solve. Sorry Shan. Are you able to Skype or is internet not strong enough?

    We continue to enjoy reading your blog and love your stories and pictures. I hope you have good books to read and that life becomes more bearable as you go along.
    We are doing OK and have a long weekend. It is Australia Day today (the first fleet of convicts arrived on 26 January 1788 ( - I know that because I have written my citizenship test). The Aussies take this day VERY seriously have massive parties to celebrate).
    You and Porks are often in our thoughts. Have a great Sunday
    Love Edwin

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Good luck with your veggies..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there Ed! So lovely to hear from you! I have my ups and downs and hearing from you is an UP! I am able to skype but it is erratic and depends on the connection at the time....I have had no network for two days! We hope you enjoyed Australia Day. We think of you often too especially watching the news with all the fires! Sending love to you all! Porks and Shan. XXX
    Veggies not doing to well but will keep nurturing them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First Fires and and now floods in Queensland. But we have been very lucky not to have been affected from business perspective.
    Went fishing today. Even caught some fish with a SA fellow called Anthony Cronright. 4:AM stuff, but it was great.
    I wish you lots and lots of visitors from all over the world so that you can converse.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again Ed! Thanks my friend! Please send some water our way.
    Have a great week too.
    Shan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shan.............still LOVING your blog! I can almost FEEL Gundi and her specialness! VERY impressed with your menu's, as your continue to make a "silk purse out of a sow's ear' ( couldn't think of a better saying, so overly appropriate!) As i said before, you should create your own recipe book to hand to "enable" the next unsuspecting wife!Your vegies are amazing considering the unfriendly climate, so "hats off to you my friend!".Even if its just a sample taste of true freshness, it must be heavenly for you! You are never far from our thoughts, and I look forward to the next SUCCESSFUL skype!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robbie, thank you! Great idea!
      I will share my new recipes or leave my new recipe book here as I am NOT taking it back to SA!! I never want to make them again!! Hee Hee! Thanks for love my friend. XXX

      Delete